This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Unity 2.0 has arrived -- check it out!

Unity 2.0 was released today. I downloaded the trial version and should be getting my licensed copy soon. This means I will have the ability to create terrains and brilliantly elegant GUIs. The terrain engine is really powerful -- not only can you sculpt and paint the terrain, you can paint objects onto the terrain. Trees, grass, rocks...anything really. Trees and vegetation even sway in the wind.

Here's a screenshot of a scene I created in just a few minutes. You can see the GUI I was testing in the upper left corner.

Everyone should go download the new version of the Unity Web player and then check out the demos here. They really are amazing.

7 comments:

  1. "Everyone should go download the new version of the Unity Web player. . ." It was kind of scary how I just did exactly what you said without even thinking about it. Ben says I should download something. . .okay. Good thing you didn't ask for my credit card number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff is really cool. I remember when you were messing around with terrains in high school. Do you remember the hollowed out volcano (Airwolf or Dr. Evil?) project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah unity 2.0 looks pretty cool, how is the terrain engine? Is it pretty flexible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cader, yes, I remember the hollowed out volcano lair. The cool thing about computer graphics technology is if I decided to make one now, you could actually walk around in it in real time instead of waiting 10 minutes for an image to render. And I'm glad to know my authoritative internet voice is having its effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron, 2.0 is definitely cool. The terrain engine is a snap to work with and provides tons of options. There are a few features I wish were included, like procedural texture painting based on slope or altitude, and maybe some simple terrain generation options like noise or canyons or hollowed out volcanoes that could be applied to an entire terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know this is off topic but....


    thoughts on the new radiohead cd?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new Radiohead is pretty good. I'm a huge fan, so I would probably like anything they put out, but it's definitely more mellow and less edgy than their last few albums (or any of their albums). Lots more guitar and drums, too, which is nice to hear. It's a much more traditional CD in terms of instrumentation. But...I like edgy, so I don't quite know what to make of it.

    I'm wondering if Thom Yorke's solo album got the electronica out of his system and this album reflects the other guys in the band a bit more.

    ReplyDelete