This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A tricky concept

I'm sure all of you who regularly read my posts (thanks) are probably wondering when you'll actually get to see something other than a little blue man and a crate. In fact, how can you be sure that I'm really developing a game at all? I haven't mentioned its name, given any insight into characters or plot, or even shown any concept art. My blog's appearance is pretty bare; it's just a stock Blogger template. I haven't mentioned a web site. The list goes on.

So when can you expect me to deliver something real? I'm working as hard as I can (damn that day job) to create something reasonably professional for you. I don't want to embarrass myself, after all. The truth is I'm learning as I go, and that means a good deal of trial and error.

Beyond the tortoise-like pace of development, my real hesitation is a desire to promote this video game in a meaningful way. The blog is obviously a part of that strategy -- an experimental way to build an audience (tell your friends) and a game at the same time.

Now, one approach to the blog would be simply to post every asset I create one at a time. This would lead to a wonderfully long list of posts showing off disconnected, even random pictures of boxes, trees, buildings, people, animals. It would also leave no surprises for the game itself. If you've already seen all the locations and read about all the characters' inner-most secrets, why would you play? (If you are interested in random pictures, you will transfixed by this endless slide show.)

So I have to control myself. I will want to post pictures of everything, but, no, the trick is to write interesting (and I hope enjoyable) posts while establishing a controlled leak of information that will help build a grass-roots interest in this game I claim to be creating. I mean, how could it not work?

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep it the way it is. I think everything is fine and I actually really enjoy the layout of the blog, even if it is stock.

    I'm eager to see what else you post and develop, definitely glad to see people using unity.

    I hope that unity indie development will continue to grow in this fashion.

    ReplyDelete