This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

SPUDZOOKA beta is live!

The SPUDZOOKA beta test is now live and ready for vigorous testing. Please leave comments and let me know your thoughts.

I made a number of enhancements to make gameplay a little smoother and the overall experience a little more interesting. Keep an eye out for:

  • Cannon animations
  • A new ammo type
  • Customizable paint jobs!
  • A simpler cannon editor (It's no longer possible to have more than one cannon, but that feature wasn't necessary anyway.)
  • Better ammo switching (Use the number keys now instead of the tab key.)
  • Some new sound effects
  • Two new levels
It's pretty exciting to have things coming together. There's still a long list of things I'd like to add to the game, but I'll have to decide how much more time to invest. Like I've always said, my real goal is to make games that tell stories, so I don't want to take away from that.

Hope you enjoy the beta!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! More stages! I think the canon edit screen is more intuitive. I did notice that a certain conbination of the chamber and barrel in the 90 second stage allowed me to fire just once in the stage. I think it was the most expensive chamber, and the $50 barrel(the one that looks like a revolver). Yes, it's 4:39am. I'm jet-lagged.

    Dew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed that bug with the $50 barrel. It now behaves properly and has a special sound. Just hold down the fire button and you've got your spud machine gun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is the gattling gun barrel is a ton of fun.
    Also not sure if it is just my system or what but at times the gun is not very responsive to my mouse movements. This is usually only in the second stage, 5 in 10 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was way fun. I still haven't gotten to listen to the sound effects (sleeping baby in next room), but I love the other improvements. It would be cool if the windows could break and reveal the outside (which could change depending on level--time of day, etc). I wish that there had been some kind of bonus level at the end without a timer. After I've finished all of the timed rounds and earned lots of money, purchased better parts, etc, I'd love to just get to shoot things and watch them blow up.

    ReplyDelete