This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Casual games, social portals, and lots of money

I've never been that interested in casual games. Aside from Tetris, which I played as a child when it was the coolest thing around, I've never spent more than 10 or 15 minutes playing a casual game.

And yet, with SPUDZOOKA getting closer to being finished, I find myself strangely drawn to the money-making possibilities of more laid back virtual entertainment. I don't expect SPUDZOOKA to make money. The main reason for this defeatist attitude is, of course, that I don't intend to sell it. It's my first game. It's not that good.

I do think a lot, though, about how I might make some extra cash making games. Developing casual games is one way to do that. It wouldn't be a lot of money, but this new feature article on Gamasutra by Daniel Cook (have I mentioned I really like their articles?) has put some crazy ideas in my head about how it might be possible. The secret? Online community. Create a place where people come to play your games and, once they arrive, make some friends. Sure they'll come back because they like your games, but they'll also come back to hang out.

There are some pretty daunting challenges, though, like customer support and the growing super-power of online casual game portals (or maybe the fact that you still have to crank out games). Cook suggests that well-known portals like Shockwave.com are essential to a blossoming casual-game business, but that their value is to help you win long-term customers, not sell one-off games. This is a good thought, since most portals don't demand exclusive rights to publish a game.

But, as one reader pointed out in a comment, what happens when the portals realize what's happening and won't promote your games unless you agree that they won't be attached to any other social space? Then you're left with nothing but word-of-mouth to generate new customers. That's where I am now with SPUDZOOKA. It's a struggle, and I'm not even selling it.

Despite the challenges, this article has my head buzzing with possibilities. But that's nothing new; my head is always fuzzy with crazy ideas and delusions of grandeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment