This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Maybe there's hope after all

It's easy to get discouraged as a solo game developer. There's just so much to do and so many skills to learn. Indeed, I accept that I will ever be more than a hack at most of the skills involved in game development.

But this post over at Tales of the Rampant Coyote (a blog from indie developer Rampant Games) is proof that indie developers can create expansive, immersive role-playing games.

No, I've never played any of the games listed in that post. Most probably won't even run on my Mac. What gives me hope is that the list is so long. It means someone is actually publishing completed games.

SPUDZOOKA isn't an RPG, but it will be my first full game. And I will finish it. I have modest hopes for it. I hope some of you will play it. I hope some of you who play it will enjoy it. Everything else is just gravy.

What I really want to do is make games that tell stories. I have to start somewhere, but it's nice to think that maybe one day I'll publish a game that makes somebody's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment