This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Introducing SPUDZOOKA

It's simple. It's fun. It's vegetarian. It's SPUDZOOKA.

SPUDZOOKA is a potato cannon shooting game (as one reader already guessed). It's designed to be super easy to learn and (I hope) really fun to play.

I'm still in the early stages of development, but things are coming together pretty quickly.

Some features
Like most casual games, SPUDZOOKA is built around a simple game mechanic. In this case it's shooting potatoes at targets. There are a million target shooting games out there, but this one will have a few features that I hope will make it stand out:

  • Play in 3D. Most casual target shooters are still Flash-based. SPUDZOOKA's realistic 3D environment should make it more immersive.
  • Customize your cannon. As you progress, you'll earn points that can be spent on new parts for your potato shooter. Barrels will affect ammunition and fire speed. Combustion chambers will affect power. Stands will affect accuracy.
  • Use various kinds of ammo. Potatoes come in all shapes and sizes, and they're all good for shooting.
  • Vent your frustrations on inanimate objects. Part of the fun of SPUDZOOKA is finding targets, which are often hidden behind obstacles such as boxes, crates, shelves, and barrels. You'll have to use your potatoes to knock them out of the way.
I've got some other features in mind, but they will take a bit longer to implement. Casual games are at their best when they're addictive, and that means you can keep coming back without playing through the same content every time. I'll save the details of my plans for another post, but my idea should keep things interesting.

I'll post a test level for everyone to play as soon as it's ready. I'm leaving the country on a long vacation right after Christmas, so I hope to have something ready by then.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I haven't seen a potato cannon since high school when I went out to the boondocks outside Apex for a drama party. They were shooting potatoes at least 100 yards--over the trees and into the neighbor's farm. Fairly scary contraption--using hairspray as fuel.

    ReplyDelete