This blog has moved. Visit Groundswell Games for the latest. Remember to update your bookmarks and RSS feeds.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The wonder of vegetable firearms

One of the main features of SPUDZOOKA is a way to upgrade and customize your potato cannon as you work your way through the game. Since I have limited personal experience with potato cannons, the need exists to do a little research. After all, how many varieties of potato cannon can there really be?

I have spent some time scouring the endless depths of the internet to find the best of the world's spud cannon engineers, and I'm happy to report that their ingenuity truly is astounding. From $20 designs fashioned with a few pieces of PVC piping to semi-automatic models and, yes, silencers, I found quite a bit more variety than expected.

To illustrate the point, I offer you here a small nibble of the loaded baked potato that is spud cannon design.

  • This site has three basic designs and very detailed instructions for building them.
  • Spud Gun Extreme is a remarkable site with some nice designs and demo videos. Sure, they're selling something (their cannons), but this site must be like gold for all the male cheerleaders out there looking to pick up a t-shirt gun.
  • John W. Cornwell offers some nice pics of his large design and a frightening disclaimer about the dangers of exploding PVC pipe.
All these cannons give me lots of ideas for the game, and I hope it will be fun for folks to build a custom virtual cannon. There are limits, though. As much as I would like to, I'm not sure I'll be able to offer anything quite so imposing and ... manly ... as this guy's toy:

No comments:

Post a Comment